Thursday, September 30, 2010

Facing My Fears...My Sewing Machine!
So, I've had this sewing machine (nothing fancy, mind you) since Rob and I got married. I've used it maybe 5 times, under supervision of my mother or mother-in-law, whom are both great seamstresses. I, on the other hand, am not. Well, that all changed this past week. I got out 'the beast' and was DETERMINED to teach myself, and I did. I was able to put together a simple skirt (that matched a previous one I had made) for Avonlea as well as two matching little bows for her hair (out of the same fabric). Again, nothing fancy, but it was a fun experience as Avonlea and I worked on it together. I did get out some scrap pieces of fabric so that she could give the machine a try and she loved it. The machine is in our schoolroom now and whenever the kids and I go in to do schoolwork, Avonlea is quick to ask if we can sew. :) Now, I'm working on a fun birthday banner for each child. One they can use every year and keep when they move out of the house.

So to all of those who own a sewing machine, but haven't tackled a simple project...I say, go for it! Once you start, you won't want to stop!








Our matching skirts


Admiring our work

No comments: