Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Update

Okay, so I won't bore you all with the fact (again) that I'm too busy to blog. I'm on the computer now, aren't I? (smile) Oh, the things I've learned this summer. It's been quite the Titus 2 summer, I should say. Rob's mom was here for 6 weeks (I think) and she was so sweet to teach me a thing or two in the 'cooking/baking department'. I've got some swell (who uses that word now?!) new recipes for buttermilk bisquits (step aside Pillsbury!) and they're so much healthier for you that store bought. I like to use a whole grain or half white flour, half whole wheat. Then we spread our homemade strawberry jelly on it and it's out of this world.

Our incredible Brittish family leaves tomorrow morning and it's going to be so sad to see them go! Avonlea is already getting a pouty lip every time we remind her. Our summer has been full of wonderful memories and although it'll be nice to be back to 'just us' and 'the norm' again, we are definately going to miss our amazing family. They're busy packing suitcases today and rushign around to get last-minute items for the plane ride back. The washer and dryer have been busy cleaning clothing, we've been sorting out toys in the childrens' rooms making sure the Brittish toys go back to England and the American toys are put back in their places. We've been exterminating ants in our kitchen (hooray for the bug guy...whom I got to share Jesus with today-PRAISE GOD!), declogging the bathtub, more sweeping and laundry.


Lincoln, Norah and I got a chance to get to the health food store this morning...just us. Now I need to get ready to make some yummy chicken vegetable soup. Yummo!



Come Monday, we should be back in order, back on a schedule, back to 'the norm' and I can't wait to share:

-our homeschool curriculum

-pictures of our temporary homeschool room

- our new chore charts (which I'm pretty proud of if I do say so myself...combination of the Workbox System/chores/etc. all in one)
- my first lapbook I made (Fruit of the Spirit theme)

- a Fruit of the Spirit game I made (free from online)

- our school desks (which I'm waiting to come in the mail)
- routines


- new (just PRECIOUS) books we've ordered to corespond with our Polished Cornerstones and Plants Grown Up curriculums.

...and much more.

Oh yes, recipes. I need to share recipes!!!! I've been reading Nourishing Traditions and my eating habbits are forever changed. (Lost another 2 pounds too!) It shocks me to think about what some people call a healthy diet (aspertame in diet drinks/sodas, splenda, MSG, soy products, aluminum, etc., etc., etc.) versus the information in this book...using lots of meat stocks, using raw milk products, veggies, veggies, veggies, fermenting (a lost art!!!!) and healthy fats that are essential to your body funtioning properly. I took many recipes from this book as well as from Candy's cookbook and tried a TON of stuff. Some things we tried and I was hoping we'd like (sourdough bread is not a hit in our family...too strong), but not everyone had a liking for (which is okay). We're learning, growing and tweaking for 'us' and that's fine.

"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." Proverbs 31:13-15


Okay, so I have some chicken soup to prep. Hope everyone is having a lovely Thursday!


See ya'll on Monday!

1 comment:

Katie & Chris & Evie Marie said...

Hi Kelli,
I am excited to see you homeschooling stuff for this year! I love looking at your blog. I am hoping to homeschool Evelyn next year if we can work it out financially. In the meantime, I'm learning a lot from you.