Sunday, April 25, 2010

It's late Sun. evening and I have lots to share, but not enough time...isn't that always the problem. :)

Visit with Mr. Lambert
We had a really nice visit with a homesteading mentor friend of ours today, taking home some fertilized chicken eggs (Rhode Island Reds), raw milk (I can't wait to make my cup of tea and try the cream in it!) as well as visiting his horses, cows (they have a baby bull now and he's just as cute as they come...big, brown floppy ears and very playful), garden and new, state-of-the-art chicken coop. He has a book that's almost impossible to find about how to build this awesome, 1940s chicken coop. I couldn't believe how genius it was! Anyway, we watched him milk Dixie-Bell, his cow and Lincoln shared his carrot with Noah the horse . He had just got back from Alabama and had harvested his honey, so although it wasn't quite ready today, we'll be back to get more milk and then we'll get honey. He let us taste some from his honeycomb and it was AMAZING. He doesn't pasturize it at all, just fresh, raw, like-it's-supposed-to-be honey. :)

Rob's Birthday
Rob's birthday was today. The big 3-1! The kids and I got him some fun gifts such as a new Rays baseball cap, sunglasses, a new razor + refill blades and a shirt. We made him a chocolate cake and sang Happy Birthday at lunch. He and I got to go out on a date last night to The Cheesecake Factory and saw a movie. It was nice to get out and it just be us. (heart)
On the Homeschool Front
A lot on my mind with homeschool curriculum as well as just household management changes. Our "little extra" (10-month-old we babysit during the week) is leaving us shortly. It's bittersweet. He's such a fun, little guy, but I am looking forward to just having my kiddos to myself. Anyway, lots of planning to do with homeschool curriculum and schedule changes for the summer/fall. I always enjoy planning, but when you don't have hours to just sit down and plan, finding 20 minutes here and 20 minutes there can be annoying. I'm going to have to pull a few late nights soon, but it's kind of nice in the quiet of the evening (I am not a morning person), no one up to ask a question or need anything. Just me and my notebook, on a mission. :)
In the Garden
The kiddos and I harvested the last of the carrots today. We got a TON this year and I have two large freezer bags to show for it. Plus, some in the fridge for snacks and lunches. We'll be pulling the rest of our lettuce before the end of the week and we'll take one last look at the green beans before we pull those out too. The only things I'm still waiting on are tomatoes (my favorite to harvest), summer squash and zucchini. It's been nice having our new rain barrels (did I mention we have two rain barrels now?) and using that water for our garden instead of paying the city for water (which contains chlorine and other chemicals). I'm trying to think of a way to use a drip line from each rain barrel into the garden, but as we redesign our garden this summer, I'm sure we'll think of something.
Okay, gonna get some tea going and settle down with a book. I hope everyone had a blessed Sunday with the Lord. God is SO GOOD!!!

No comments: