Tuesday, April 23, 2013

 
School Planning
Summer and Fall, 2013
 
It's almost here. Yes, I'm talking about the end of the school year for 2013. Pretty soon, the bowling lanes, water parks, beaches, arcades, skating rinks, etc. will be filled to the brim with children. Playdates will begin, pools will be filled with bodies aching for summer heat relief and moms will enjoy some catching up with friends over iced tea and watching kids run through sprinklers.
 
It's also time to start thinking about curriculum for next year, homeschool conferences, summer plans, vacations, things we're reflecting on from last year, things we want to change next year, goals to set, schedules to change or put together and any summer learning to take place. I'm feeling it extra hard this year with "little man" almost here, but after a few years of experience (I can't imagine the peace the true homeschool veteran moms/dads might feel after YEARS of doing this...someday that might be us, but not yet), I can say that there's definitely a routine and some organization to how the end of the year, the summer and the planning will go.
 
The trick is PRAYER and making lots of lists.
Side note: I was right in the middle of planning when taking these pictures
so the blocks are not filled out.
 
One of the things that has really helped me stay focused and organized is my planner that I put together. I've tried a few different ones, but nothing really fit the Charlotte Mason style that we use, so I made my own. You can go HERE to find a helpful link on lesson planning online. I personally prefer the pencil and paper method though in case technology fails, which seems to happen a lot to me for some reason. 
 
I simply copied the list of subjects from HERE and made a grid for Monday through Friday. There's not a whole lot of room, but I keep things short and simple so it works. I place "X"s in the boxes where we're not doing that subject just yet or on that particular day (for instance, we do History 4 out of the 5 days in the week, so one day gets an "X").

I've been jotting down our summer learning in high hopes. We'll see what we tackle realistically with the new baby. We were able to get most core subjects wrapped up, but there are still a few things that I want to finish up. Some things they've worked on throughout the year, but haven't completely mastered and need a bit more repetition and so we'll just single out those things. 

 My "To Do List" is always present. Who's isn't? :)
 
 I use a master calendar for planning also. I keep numbers next to the weeks counting down how many more are left in the year, field trips, etc.
 
 Here is a list I made to help remind me of what subjects are covered on certain days during the week as well as individual work (math, spelling, grammar, etc.) vs. whole group work (Bible, History, Science, etc.). I got the idea from HERE.
 
Finally, here is a goal sheet I made for each child's goals for the next year. I used a Bible verse under each goal also so as we're working on certain things throughout the year, we can turn to the Word.
 
 It covers:
Spiritual goals, Academic goals, Personal goals, Character training, Physical goals,
Chores mastered and chores to work on.
 
I plan on doing a post soon on our curriculum choices, what we're using as whole group instruction and individually. Every family is oh-so-different, different family sizes, different ages, various gifts and interests, different genders. I only share with my readers to show what works for us. If it works for you - great! If not, move on. As always, ask the Lord and your husband for wisdom in what to be teaching your children.
 
There are so many things to think about as the year comes to an end and a new one begins. It's easy to get overwhelmed. We all do. Let us encourage one another as we continue working for the Lord, boasting in Him alone as he uses us to create disciples for His glory.
 
Blessings this Tuesday!

 

1 comment:

Naturally Blessed Mama said...

You and I are in the same boat...I'm due in just 3-4 short weeks with my 5th, which is making me a bit anxious about lots of things in our lives, but it's all about trusting the Father. I've also been experiencing prodromal labor, which makes each day difficult, and makes me very thankful for the character traits the Lord has helped me instill in my children. We also are Charlotte Mason homeschoolers. You're post was wonderful, and a great motivation to me as I need to work on the same things! Praying for a quick and safe delivery of your little one!

Blessings,
sara