Friday, November 2, 2012

"Why Have a New York City?"
I first want to say that my prayers are with those families who have had to endure this awful storm, Hurricane Sandy. We've known friends who have been personally effected and living without power, heat, gasoline, food and water for days and days it is no picnic. With that being said, I do think that this is a great opportunity though to touch on a topic that I was just reading about in You Can Farm by Joel Salatin just this past week (pg. 28).
 
I want to share a quote...
 
"...Of coarse, those who disagree always ask: 'What about New York City?' I used to be somewhat apologetic about not having an answer for that, because clearly the huge city is too large for the nearby countryside to supply all its food. Importing from distant areas is essential to feed a large city. But I have changed my response to a question (Socrates would be proud): 'Why have a new York City?'
 
I'm not being silly. I view huge cities as completely unnatural. They do not produce food, water, air. They have sewage problems, solid waste problems, pollution problems. Why should anyone be interested in preserving an inherently inefficient human living model? Let's agree that huge cities need not be preserved in their present form, and go about promoting in our own locale a more sensible model of existence."
 
While this post is in NO WAY out to attack those in large cities or especially those in New York City, I hope that this quote has helped some readers think. There have been way too many of these natural disasters in the past 15 years to ignore them and continue in denial that "nothing will happen to me" or "the government will protect me". No folks. While the government may have good intentions to help when they can, we're on our own and that has been proven time and again (need I bring up Hurricane Katrina and how long those people waited for help and rescue?).
 
It is important to be prepared in times of emergencies like this and I hope that you take some time to at least look at Amy's hard work and research on Biblical Preparedness. I know that besides having egg layers, being able to process and cook a chicken, a stocked pantry, having some food-grade buckets and Mylar bags for long term food storage, a Berkey water filter, a garden and seed collection (long term), we could survive for a few weeks should we need to.
 
Let this be a time of "doing" for you to prepare should a natural disaster hit your area. Especially if you are one who lives in an area where you are completely dependant on others for food, start somewhere. Do something. I've always enjoyed Joel's enthusiasm for "Just Do It". He says that if you wait until things are perfect and you have all your ducks in a row, all the money in place, etc. you'll never do it. You'll never start somewhere. Start with a few potted plants on your windowsill. Start with one book. Start with 2 chickens in your garage or backyard. Start somewhere. It's how we started. Country life can grow on anyone, I'm convinced. I've seen our own milk co-op customers who have had corporate jobs and law degrees just begging to leave their four walls and desk jobs to be out in the sunshine, fresh air, raising their own food. It doesn't come easy and it takes a lot of sacrifice, but anyone can start somewhere.
 
I love Joel's chapter (15) on "Being Neighborly". So many larger cities and even suburban areas are almost unaware of their neighbors, let alone their names and details about their lives. Not so in the country. When you have to drive 30 minutes into town to borrow a cup of sugar, you'd better bet you'll be knocking on the door of your neighbor before you load the kiddos up and drive over an hour for sugar. You depend on your neighbors. Your community. Not the government who doesn't know your name.
 
"Take time to talk. When your neighbor comes over, lean on his truck Farmers love to see people lean on their trucks. I guess it's real close to a hug or something." (pg. 169)
 
Don't you just love that?! :)
 
I hope that this post has been a blessing to you and your family and we must continue in prayer and support  for those states that have suffered so much from Hurricane Sandy.
 
 

No comments: