Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Almost Amish"


You know, it's funny. In one of my recent posts, I claimed that our family isn't "going Amish" or anything. I have to laugh because I recently read this interesting article. It was labeled "Almost Amish".


The article contains some interesting information regarding our current, modern, technology-driven lifestyle as a society and also gives some of the characteristics of the Amish lifestyle.

The writer goes on to say...

"Along the way, I discovered some Amish principles that we can all try to emulate. These principles (similar to the list that Wendell Berry laid out more than two decades ago in Home Economics) provide guidelines for a simpler, slower, more sustainable life. They offer me hope.
  1. Homes are simple, uncluttered, and clean; the outside reflects the inside.
  2. Technology serves as a tool and does not rule as a master.
  3. Saving more and spending less brings financial peace.
  4. Time spent in God’s creation reveals the face of God.
  5. Small and local leads to saner lives.
  6. Service to others reduces loneliness and isolation.
  7. The only true security comes from God.
  8. Knowing neighbors and supporting local businesses builds community.
  9. Family ties are lifelong; they change but never cease.
  10. Faith life and way of life are inseparable."

She then also touches on technology and its positives and negatives...

I can work anytime, anywhere.
I can check e-mail anytime.
People get back to me immediately.
I can access entertainment anytime.
I can stay informed all the time.
I can get in touch with almost anyone, anytime.
I can buy almost anything, anytime.
I can multitask.
There’s always something to do.
I never feel alone.

And then I made a list of what I hate about modern technology:

I can work anytime, anywhere.
I can check e-mail anytime.
People expect me to get back to them immediately.
I can access entertainment anytime.
I can stay informed all the time.
Almost anyone can get in touch with me anytime.
I can buy almost anything, anytime.
I can multitask.
There’s always something to do.
I never feel alone.

I know I’m not the only one feeling this love-hate relationship with technology: We love the convenience technology affords. We hate how technology is taking over our lives."


This is something that I struggle with (and not because my Facebook account got hacked into this week...ahem). I struggle with what I see happening in the traditional schools... cell phones being allowed (PTDs: Portable Temptation Devices) to teens who are not responsible enough to handle them and their temptations, other 'i-devices' that are wonderful TOOLS, but depending on the child (or adult for that matter), some are not able to handle what they're using them for and for HOW LONG (we've all sat down at the computer to check on something and then there goes 45 minutes!). We all struggle with the blessings and curses of technology. I've seen families completely destructed because of it and I've seen individuals strive with the great information, education and research done on them. What I don't like is the attitude behind it sometimes. Parents saying, "Well, this is the wave of the future so you'd better get your preschoolers up to par and on that computer." No. I'm their parent and I'll decide that, but thanks anyway. My kids don't have chat rooms on the computer. They don't e-mail their friends (something special about hand-written notes with stickers and coloring pages sent through the mail). They play the computer from time to time (20 minutes and not everyday). I don't want it to become a temptation for them as a way to pass the time because there's nothing else for them to do. The same with the TV.


Moving on...I love how she touches on the other aspects of spending less money, decluttering the home, spending time outdoors in God's creation and growing closer to Him, building a sense of community as you practice hospitality and service to others. I also admire the part about family and how they spend so much time together. This is a big one that I see as a problem in today's age. We're all shuffling off to work, schools, practices, etc. throughout the day. You are where you spend your time!

Questions I always ask myself are..."Have I read the Bible with my children today?" "Have I talked with them about Jesus?" "Have I prayed with them today?" "Have I discipled them today?" If my schedule ever gets too busy to where I'm not doing these things, I must evaluate our time and where it's spent.

To sum up, the Amish have definitely got something here. They always have. They lead simple lives that we might be able to take something from and learn. They're not perfect. Sinners as we all are, but their hearts seem to be in the right place.

So, would I label our family as "Amish". No. :) I do know, though, that we have made steps to simplifying our life as a family and enjoy the simplicity of it.

What are some ways in which you plan to
simplify your own life?



 

No comments: