Tuesday, February 28, 2012

GRASS

I've had lots of homework lately, especially on grass. Yepper. That's right. GRASS. Grass sustains life. As Rob and I have been looking for properties, there's one thing that I have disagreed with Dad on. Dad says that it's important to move north as there are more options to grow different foods, not being a tropical climate. While I love the option of having cooler temperatures, I think I like being able to have grass all-year-round better. As we look to someday work a farm that has dairy cattle, beef cattle and chickens (eggs and meat), we want them to be grass-based, as God intended them to be. In talking with a good friends who's more of an expert than we are, he spoke some interesting words to me a few weeks ago regarding natural cancer-fighting cells. He said that in his research, he's found that as soon as a conventional farmer puts a cow on grain (or even worse, corn), that cow's cancer fighting qualities found in her milk are next to nothing (a whopping 90% of it is G-O-N-E).

Our goal is to have our cattle on a grass-only diet. Yep. No grain. No sweet feed. Nothin' but pure Florida grass made by the sun, rain, air and dirt. I've been researching our state's grass and what is grown here easily. I know a bit about grass, but there's so much out there that I'm taking my time on this one. Gotta get it right.

There's only ONE dairy farm in the entire state of Florida (that's listed for all I know, there may possibly be others that we don't know of if they're small) that is grass-only based. It's called Full Circle Farm in Live Oak Florida. Joel Salatin himself visited their farm years back and loved what they were doing. Gave them some tips on keeping shade trees for maintaining soil moisture, hence less to no irrigation, etc. I would have loved to be a fly out in that pasture as their conversations took place, but I will settle for some of these interesting videos.

Sorry if grass bores you. I find it so interesting as I research the different types, how they grow, what nutrients they need and how possible it will (or won't) be to grow in a tropical climate, zone 10.









1 comment:

Rachel E. said...

Hey again, I have a question regarding your chickens. Do you vaccinate them against anything?