Monday, October 24, 2011

Milk...Does a Body Good (or not?)
Laugh if you will (city-folk), but the more I learn about pasteurized/homogenized milk, the more I wish for one of these...


a sweet Jersey cow who produces out-of-this-world, healthy, creamy milk. The more I research and find out, the more I've observed its link to cancer, especially breast cancer. Not to mention the high hormones that are suggested to allow young ladies to develop earlier and the enormous links to heart disease. Last I checked, heart disease was the number one killer of Americans, with dairy (cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc.) contributing to it.

Call me crazy, but I've actually looked into miniature Jersey cows! They're half the size of a standard Jersey breed and oh, so sweet. They don't produce as much milk either, but that's okay. The rBGH hormone is a hormone that stimulates a cow to produce more and more milk. At least 80% of cows are treated with this hormone each year. Organic dairy cows are supposedly not treated with the hormone, but the pasteurization process still encourages obesity and heart disease. (People don't realize that pasteurized skim milk is more apt to make you fat than raw, whole milk...healthy fats can actually help you LOOSE weight along with other natural fats like almonds, salmon, avocados, etc.)

So, I'll let you know if my husband ever gives me the "OK" to get a female Jersey calf. (I won't hold my breath...he-he.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi kelli,
first of all i want to let you know how much of an inspiration you have been to me and my family. you have helped open my eyes to many things from home schooling my 3 children to living a healthy life style. you have been a blessing from God to my family. You are a amazing mother and a true inspiration. thank you for sharing everything with us.
Your post on cows milk has really caught my attention. I live in a small city in texas, and no were near a dairy farm :( i was wondering what you thought of differnt allternitives like almond milk. it taste really good, just not sure if it would be a good idea to substitute it for the cows mild. my children are big milk drinkers, so knowing the dangers of the milk we get from the grocery store really scares me.
thanks
hailey