Thursday, May 26, 2011

Home Educating Family Magazine

As moms, there are so many books, magazines and other literature we surround ourselves with that it's enough to make our heads spin. I used to be one of those moms who subscribed to all the typical parenting magazines. Then, after evaluating the information that they were giving and learning about all the "big wigs" that were behind the money-making of those advertisements and articles, I decided to invest in better quality reading. I'm not getting paid by this magazine to advertise for them, but as I was sitting down on the couch tonight, reading it, it's always like a breath of fresh air to me and I thought I'd share.


When I was teaching in a traditional school system years ago, my mentor had told me once that "All good ideas are stolen" and in life, I have found this to be true. Sometimes, we just don't know what's out there until someone else shares it with us and when we try it out, we're hooked. This happens to be one of those things.


I've always enjoyed getting Home Educating Family Magazine in the mail and love sharing it with others, even if they're not a home educating family. The same goes with so many home educating events, conferences, literature, etc. You don't have to be a homeschooling mom or dad to enjoy the many great artciles written or speeches given about character, discipline, Biblical perspectives, fun science experiments for the whole family, awesome field trip ideas, historical studies and much much more!


The featured family in this issue is a family of 10 who is very candid and honest about their joys and stuggles in homeschooling their 8 children. There are artcles written about keeping your marriage alive (especially as you're training little ones 24/7!), an incredible article (Not Ashamed of a Biblical Starting Point) written by Ken Ham regarding evolutionary approaches vs. Creationism. There is an incredible article regarding family size and our Western culture's view of "normal" (very eye-opening). An article regarding the pressures of getting through worksheets and checklists when in reality, Leonardo de Vinci reminds us that


"Just as eating against one's will is injurious to health, so studying without a liking for it spoils the memory, and it retains nothing it takes in."


Here is a neat little clip from the featured family that I think you'll enjoy. They have quite a story and I love the transparency they share. Be sure to visit the magazine's website and check things out to see if you're interested in it. It could also be an awesome gift for a friend or family member.

No comments: