Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lentil Soup and Corn Muffins
One of my favorite soups to eat (let's just say that a soup and a well-made salad is one of my ideal meals!) is lentil soup. It's SO good for you and can really warm a person up on a chilly day or night. So, here's my recipe I use for the soup and muffins.


Kelli's Lentil Soup



Ingredients:



a few tablespoons of olive oil



2 large onions



1 carrot peeled and diced small



1 celery stalk diced small



2 cloves of garlic



1/4 of a green pepper diced small



8 cups of vegetable (or organic chicken) broth



2 cups dried brown lentils (Try to purchase organic since beans/lentils are HIGH in pesticides...I buy ours in bulk at our health food store for less than Publix.)



salt to taste



pepper to taste



1 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes



1-2 by leaves



1/2 tsp. of cumin



*You can play around with using other spices such as Italian seasoning, thyme as well as sausage or ham if you like. With this being a high protein meal (lentils), you won't need the added meat though, only unless you just like the taste. :) Cuts down on cost.



Directions:



In a large saucepan, heat the oil, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and pepper until soft (medium heat). Add all other ingridients and cook on low heat for 2 hours, OR if you're in a hurry, cook on a higher heat for 1 hour.




For my corn muffins, I love using the Arrowhead Mills Corn Bread mix. Sometimes I like to add a pinch of sugar for some sweetness. :)


Avonlea, helping set the table.



A nice comfort meal. Ahhh. Enjoy!




No comments: