Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homeschool Curriculum Apprehension


Today I'm just sharing from my heart. I'm overwhelmed with homeschool curriculum!!!


It's April and although we had some setbacks this year (mostly adding our "little extra" to our group), I'm getting VERY excited about next year (our "little extra", whom we love babysitting will be leaving us in a just a few, short weeks leaving me to just my own little ones).


Although Avonlea has done the Kindergarten curriculum this year, we're going to push through the summer, finishing it up (math workbook and readers). That will put her in a 1st grade curriculum for next year and she's four (to be turning 5 in Sept.). Now Rob and I have tossed and turned over this one for some time now and have prayed extensively about it. We just want to make the right choice for Avonlea. She's an avid reader and whips through things quicker than I can supply them. I know she's already going to be a grade ahead (she would have been in a 3-year-old class this year had she been in daycare), but to put her 2 grades ahead is crazy to think. I don't want to hold her back academically, but I also don't want her to grow up too quickly graduating at such an early age either. I know Rob and I are going to have a hard time seeing our "babies" off to college or whatever path God may have in store for them. In terms of curriculum, another option is to break away from A Beka and do Kindergarten over again, with another provider (Sonlight, Rod and Staff, etc.).


Well, I was talking with an academic counselor from A Beka a few weeks ago and she had a very valid point. She said that since God has called our family to homeschool, don't worry about where she could be placed should she go to traditional school in the future. You don't want a child to be bored with what he/she is learning. By all means, seize the day and take her mind where she needs to be. I was encouraged by her advice, not to mention she's been teaching for 26 years. For those of you who know, I too have a degree in education and although I have that background, it's still overwhelming to think about curriculum and where your children should be academically, socially, spiritually, etc. Every child is different and to give each one the exact same expectations for any of the previous areas would be silly and is definately a set-up for failure.

Anywho, I've been overwhelmed because having my three little guys so close in age, I really want a curriculum that would address subjects to where I don't have to teach something different to each grade level, i.e. science, Bible, etc. Math, Reading, Handwriting are a given in terms of having to be on a different level, but why not kill three birds with one stone in the other areas, right? :)


Here's the good and bad news. Are you still with me? Okay, I found out that coming up, there's a convention where all the homeschool curriculum "peeps" will be in one room with all of their curriculum books/videos/manipulatives, etc. Just what I've been looking for!!! Now for the kicker. It's $85.00 just to get into the doors!!! I'll only be there for a few hours, but the benefit of having ALL the curriculum at my fingertips to touch, read and see is soooo tempting. It's not something I would do every year, but just a one-time experience. Oh, think, think, think, Kelli.


So, are there any homeschooling moms of multiple children, moms whom have a teaching background or moms with some good advice out there for my predicament? I'm open friends. :)
Have a BLESSED day!

2 comments:

Tessa said...

There's a homeschool convention coming up here too and I wish I could go! (It's also not cheap) I have a couple friends who are going to they're going to give me the low down. I also just came across a great homeschool site for up to 5 years old (http://www.handsonhomeschooling.com/index.htm) with samples of their curriculums. It seems pretty neat and, so far, it's the only place I've found decent information on homeschooling a 2 year old. Any tips for someone that wants to homeschool? I'm thinking a day each for numbers, colors, shapes, letters and Bible stories.

I agree with your counselor. One of the reasons that I want to homeschool is so that my son (and any future children) can learn at a pace that is good for them. If they are pushed to hard or they are bored, they learn to resent (or even despise) learning. Good luck with finding out what will work for your daughter!

Naturally Blessed Mama said...

Just wanted to share that we recently stumbled upon a new curriculum that we are loving and it lets me teach more than one age group at a time. It's Heart of Dakota,we LOVE it! And I have used a lot of curriculums. Hope this helps your dilemma some.

Blessings,
sara