Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Big 30!








Ahhh, the big 3-0. Well, I'm officially 30 years old today and I have mixed emotions...happy because I am soooo blessed and am thankful for the 30 years the Lord has given me. Sad because I've always looked at people in their 30s as "old" and now I'm one of them (smile). Curious to see how the next decade pans out in life. Thankful for my amazing family both here and abroad. Nervous because I've heard that it's harder to stay in shape in your thirties and I want to shed my remaining baby weight. Excited for the future and the things I have planned and want to accomplish (traveling, family time, educating my children, being with my husband, etc.) although I know Jesus in more in charge than I am and may have "other plans".



I have to say that today started out as any old morning with the exception that my husband sang "Happy Birthday" to me while he was getting ready for work as well as presenting me with a homemade card. If you are a member of this Bates household, we require homemade cards. It just shows that you took the time to make it for someone instead of having a friend pick one up for you on their lunch break. NOT that anyone has ever done that, I'm just saying. =)



Anyway, I've changed diapers today, wiped noses, given baths, played "dinosaurs", cleaned up messes, made meals, kissed boo-boos, got a shower (praise the Lord!), fed and burped babies, cleaned counter tops, swept, wiped another nose, read my Bible, brushed little ones' teeth, homeschooled, danced to princess songs and the list goes on. However, I have felt the incredible presence of the Lord today while doing all of it and He gave me an incredible quiet time with Him today where I was able to thank him for all that He has done in my life and in the life of my family. I didn't present Him with a list (like I sometimes do) of my worries and requests, but rather just sat, thanked Him and enjoyed being in His presence. We all have areas where we want to improve our relationship with Him. Mine is that I want to be a better listener. To really listen to what He is saying.



Tonight was so much fun. My family surprised me with a little party and I guess they wanted me to feel young at heart because we had it at Chuck E. Cheese. =)I must say that it was a blast! I played skee ball with Grandma, received some interesting gifts including denture adhesive cream, old-lady curlers for my hair, Depends and I'm sure my little brother would have given me a walker or wheelchair had he had the chance to get ahold of one! Little stinker. I'll get him back in 9 years. My favorite gift was a box full of pictures from when I was born all the way up through my childhood. I couldn't help but shed a tear and hug my mother profusely. I've been asking for years for pictures to fill my family scrapbook, but haven't had any childhood pictures to do it with. I found pictures of my baby dedication, old ballet recitals, cheerleading pictures, pictures with family and friends and some really neat momentos that I made or were made for me as a baby. Touching. Thanks Mom if you're reading this. It meant a lot. I'm also much looking forward to a date with my sweetie this weekend, just us (heart).



It was a wonderful day and although I definately feel older (not physically, just by title...a "thirty-year-old"), I'm not going to let that get me down! I guess I can say that I feel like an official adult. An official parent. A woman. Yes, I have found a gray hair or two(and plucked them quickly)...yikes! I need to locate that verse in the Bible about how gray hair shows wisdom. =)



Lastly, I have to give a birthday shout out to my ever-so-cool brother-in-law, Dean, who lives in the UK. We share the same birthday and I feel bad for not Skyping and sharing the excitement of the day with the Drydens. Miss you guys!



What a blessed day it was and I am so thankful for an amazing mother who gave birth to me 30 years ago and for parents who raised me in the Lord to be who I am today.


6 comments:

The Dryden Family said...

30 isn't sooo bad!!! Dean and I are bothe 35 now and the harsh reality is that we are too close to 40 for our own comfort! I remember crying when I thought about my mom turning 40 and how that would class her as 'OLD' in my mind! YIKES!!!! Glad you had a child-like party, sounds fun ...my kids certainly are jealous!!!
Speaking of grey hair....I have to have my hair colored every 6 weeks now!!! Shocking!!!! That's what you've got to look forward to in just 5 years time!!!!
Love you! Kris

Christy said...

Happy birthday!!! Sounds like a wonderful day! Honestly, I thought that turning 31 was harder than turning 30, because the last year seemed to FLY by and it made me wonder if every year of my 30's would go so fast! Hope you are able to make lots of wonderful memories this coming year and see God in new exciting ways in your life! :)

Bush Family said...

Happy 30th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am not sure if you get on Facebook anymore, but I wished you a happy birthday there yesterday. So exciting to have reached a whole other point in your life. And watch it missy over 30 is not old...we are just "more experienced." I have to say, in the year since I have turned 30 I am (and my friends) have found quite a few more greys. But, I look at it this way...I don't have to get highlights ;-) It looks like you had a lot of fun and a great time with your family last night. Wish I could be there to help you celebrate!

Jo said...

My dear friend, Kell! Happy Birthday! Wow, God is amazing! When we sit a bask in the awesomeness of His blessings, it can be breathtaking! I'm so glad to be able to call you my friend! I think, if you don't mind, I'll bring my birthday surprise for you over when I come to visit next month! :) I am blest by your life. You continually cause me to want to grow closer to Jesus! :)

Matthew and Valerie said...

Happy birthday Kelli! I definitely think a 30th birthday celebration at Chuck E Cheese's sounds great. The gifts on the other hand, did not! :)

Kelli said...

Happy birthday girlfriend. I'm happy to hear that you had a wonderful God-filled, family-filled youthful day. What a blessing.