Thursday, March 5, 2009

Furry Mammals





The kids and I have really been enjoying our science classes lately. I mentioned that we had been a few times before and we learned about ocean animals/life, then we moved onto reptiles and amphibians, we've learned about mammals (this posts' pictures) and this week we learned about our bodies. The kids have been great for all of the classes, with the exception of today's. Mind you, almost all the other parents have only one child (three or older) and I have two with Lincoln being 20 months and has a short attention span. So, sitting at tables and making finger prints (which was really cool by the way!), learning about our bones, listening to our heartbeats, etc. was not his "cup of tea", although he did sit for a little while when he got to hear his heartbeat. Next week, we're learning about "Creepy Crawlies" so hopefully, it'll go smoother. The kids have loved the classes and have learned so much. I've been able to check out books ahead of time for Avonlea to learn about the characteristics of the certain kinds of animals, so she knows what we're talking about in class. There are only a few more classes, so I'll share more about those later.

Homeschooling is going smoothly and quite frankly, Avonlea LOVES it. She's always asking me, "Mommy, is it time to do our school?" This is such an answer to prayer as I was really concerned about the social aspect of it, but God has been good and has been putting opprotunities in my lap to take the kids to. Saving the money has also been a blessing as we're not spending a fortune on preschool. Some of the things she loves to do are the phonics charts we're using (learning all the consanant sounds and now she's got the long and short vowel sounds down pat). I've also introduced her to the calendar. We sing a song, put up the date and see what day of the week it is. I used the book Chicken Soup With Rice to introduce the calendar to her. The title doesn't sound anything like what would be a calendar topic, but it's a cute book. She can write her first and last name and to tell you the truth, I've been having a blast with all the fun and creative things we've been doing. Praise the Lord for our big dining room table! =)

Anyways, this is all the time I have for blogging today. Lots of laundry to get to. Extra camping laundry has really set me back this week. Ug. Have a great Thursday everyone! =)

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I'm glad the homeschooling is going well. Hey, did I tell you I'm thinking of becoming a teacher? Complete career change...pray for me. I also want to work with Jamison more at home so I'm going to start working on finding information to help her.