Monday, May 26, 2008

Our Little Vacation

The four of us decided to take a little vacation this Memorial Day weekend and what fun it was. We drove up to Orlando on Friday afternoon, checked into our resort (did NOT have a good experience there...bad directions, no air conditioning for the first day, etc.), took a dip in the pool and grabbed some dinner at Logan's Steakhouse. We headed out to Publix (grocery store) for some necessities (shampoo/conditioner...which we forgot and some drinks/food so we didn't have to eat out every meal). Saturday morning, we got dolled up and drove to St. Augustine where my cousin Andrea got married. It was a beautiful ceremoney and we couldn't be happier for them. Congrats Jeff and Andrea! We then drove home after the wedding and enjoyed another dip in the pool that evening.
Sunday, we decided to extend our stay another day and we went to my favorite store in the whole world, IKEA. We just got an IKEA in Orlando in the past year and we used to have to wait and go when we were in London visiting Rob's sister, Kris and their family. We got a few items for the house (oddly enough, we never manage to spend too much money when we go which is a good thing!) and after heading back to the resort for some much needed naps, we got dressed and headed out to Disney's Boardwalk. It's such a fun, family atmosphere and the kids really enjoyed themselves. We were able to see Epcot's fireworks at 9:00 p.m. and after making a circle around the giant lake, we got some rootbeer floats (Avonlea chose M&Ms over icecream or any other dessert) and headed back. I have to tell you all this story though...At dinner last night, we had some Publix subs to eat and Avy decided that she didn't want to eat hers. We said "fine, but no dessert at The Boarwalk". She was okay with this at the time mind you, but I knew better as a mother. I wrapped the sandwich in a bag and stuffed it in our stoller knowing she'd change her mind later. I know we were on vacation, but I wasn't about to let this one go. When we reached the dessert shop last night, she THEN decided she did want dessert (duh!) so I reached into the stroller and pulled out the soggy sub. I told her she had to eat at least 1/2 to get dessert. So there in the middle of the dessert shop, amongst LOTS of people, she ate her helping of her dinner and then chose M&Ms for her dessert. I'm tough I know, but was pretty proud of myself for sticking to my guns. =)

Needless to say, we had a blast and can't wait to visit Orlando again when the Dryden's come to visit. We've already decided that we're going to get one of those big family bicycles (the ones that seat 10 people and everyone peddles) and ride around, ringing our bell for people to get out of the way! Can't wait.

At The Boardwalk in Disney. We NEVER get good pictures of the four of us together. This is a rarity folks! Notice, there are also pictures of me in some of these posts. Again, a rarity!!

One of the performers at The Boardwalk in Disney.

Avonlea and I in Downtown Disney in front of one of the most beautiful water/flower displays I've ever seen.

Lincoln and Mickey

On the road again...

The trip home. Ahh! Sweet silence. Both kids slept the entire way home.

2 comments:

The Dryden Family said...

FUN, FUN, FUN! We are up for that family bicycle thing! It's a MUST!

Christina said...

Did you know that they are building an IKEA in Tampa? It is very close to my new house. In fact, I will pass by it everyday on my way home from work. Hooray!!