Thursday, May 17, 2012

Goodbye Molly...For Now, Anyways

This week has definitely been one with some tears. The other day, we received a knock on our front door. It was a police officer. As I opened the door, I could tell that he was uncomfortable, but asked, "Do you have a cow, ma'am?" I responded in truth and he asked to see her. I had him walk around back and showed him our beloved "Molly". He started taking pictures and asking some questions. I was uncomfortable and thought, "Here we go".


Sure enough, a neighbor had called us in and complained. The officer gave us 72 hours to find a new home for Molly. I asked where in writing it stated this and he said that it was simply his word and what we needed to do. There was no standard protocol for this since not too many people keep cows in the city.
 He left and I immediately got on the phone to try and figure out what my rights were, if we could get a permit to keep her and try to buy more time. The head of the codes department wasn't budging and although he said he would give us more time, it still wasn't what we wanted.


 As I shared the news with our friends at the dairy, without hesitating they asked when we wanted them to come pick her up. I didn't want them to (even though I knew that there couldn't be a better, healthier place for her to be). Tons of pasture and other cows to romp and play with. She'd love it, but we'd miss her. I would think/hope she'd miss us too.
 Just as a puppy would, she's grown on our family and has gotten into a great routine here. We take her out to graze each evening (Rob's been happy not to have to mow the lawn lately!) and she's made friends with Riley and our chickens. It's been a great 3 months and we'll continue to go down and visit her ever chance we can. We know that the Lord is in control and whatever property He has for us, we'll be able to take Molly there. She's still our cow and now we have an excuse to go visit her more often. We've been wiping lots of tears around here, but we know that God is in control.

1 comment:

Joy Comes in the Morning said...

That is so sad. I hope that your family can find the property you have been wanting and maybe you can be left to use your land as you see fit.