Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What a Day!

I know we're supposed to count everyday a blessing from God and I DO! I just think I'd like a re-do on this particular day!
It started out "normal". We headed out for some errands and Norah had to get a shot today at the pediatrician's. So, I filled up a bag with goodies and snacks and off we went. The kids were pretty good at the doctor's, polite as I spoke to the doctor and used their manners (for the most part). We wanted to meet Daddy for lunch today, so instead of heading home at the early hour that it was, we headed over to a local outdoor mall.
We stopped in a Target for some necessities (toothbrushes, olive oil - which they don't carry-, some disposable diapers for the Linkster - we do keep disposables on hand for out and about purposes, and some plastic Easter eggs).
We then had some time to kill, so we put the bags in the car and headed out for a walk amongst the stores. We came across the movie theater and this is where it gets interesting! Lincoln saw the advertisements for "Toy Story" all over the outside, so I had to take the kids into the lobby area to convince them that it was NOT a Toy Story toystore. As we were walking out, Lincoln pulled the firealarm. ("Oh Lord, please help me!") The lights were flashing and people were looking around, panicked. I immediately ran to the first worker I could find and reported that my two-year-old son had pulled it accidentally. We hurried out of the theater and as we were walking to the craft store, wouldn't you know it, we heard one of these...

Yes, a firetruck escapade showed up in front of the theater. How embarrassing! We scurried even faster at this point. We hid, um, I mean, browsed around in the Michael's Craft Store for awhile. Then, we lost this... (Avonlea's blankie)

After retrieving the blankie, we were off to meet Daddy at Chick-Fil-A for some lunch. The kids ate, played and we all went home tired and ready for naps. Well, did I mention that while we were eating, Norah had gotten ahold of a plastic wrapper from the plasticware? She did and somehow, after I had taken it away, she still had a small piece hidden in her mouth the whole way home...every mother's nightmare...their child choking! So, as we got home, I put Avy and Lincoln down for naps. I went in to nurse Norah and put her down, but she wasn't having it. She kept pulling at her mouth and let's just say she was doing this (below), but it wasn't my nose!...

Now, when I nursed Avonlea, I stopped at 6 months because I was working and pretty much lost my milk. With Lincoln, I was able to consistenly nurse him until the biting began. I stopped with him at 9 months. Now, with Norah, she's biting at 9 months and I'd like to get to 1 year. I do believe that every mother has the right to nurse and how long really isn't none of my business (although I'm not a fan of YEARS!). I do believe God gives babies teeth for a reason.

"To each his own."

Anyway, I'm hoping that this isn't the end, seeing that we really enjoy this bonding time (not to mention healthy, FREE milk). If you're a guy and you're reading this, ummm...okay....so....anyway. :)

If you ladies have been through the biting and have ANY advice, I'll take it!!!

So, I need to finish telling about this piece of plastic in Norah's mouth. When I went to nurse her, she began batting at her mouth and then screaming. The mothering instinct in me knew there was something wrong. I immediately got a flashlight and a popsicle stick. I forced her tongue down and looked in her throat. There, in the back was a piece of plastic. I grabbed it and she seemed so relieved. (Praise the Lord!!!!!!) I went to nurse her again and she just kept biting. Not cute!!! So, I warmed up some frozen milk and a bottle it was. I looked down at her, gasping at how she was knawing on the bottle. Glad it wasn't me! I put her down for a nap and she was so tired, she was out in a matter of minutes.
I have to admit that I felt relaxed and at peace as I was typing this, but now that I've discovered Avonlea is AWAKE....ug. Quiet time for her (where she has to stay in her bed doing quiet activities) and some quiet time for me. I'm exhausted.
"Just 20 minutes, Lord. Just 20 minutes."

5 comments:

The Dryden Family said...

OH MY GOODNESS ME!!!!! Kelli, I would've been in tears!!!!!I bet Lincoln loved the fire engines though! What a day! How scary that Norah had plastic stuck in her mouth! Praise the Lord she is ok!!! We had a scary choking episode with Levi where we had to get the Ambulance involved, I was in tears!
Well, I hope that everything was quite for at least 20 minutes...doesn't sound like that would be enough time to recover though!

true blessings said...

My oh My! LOL and try at least 5 minutes,and my kids are older(13,12,8,&4)the moment I step into the bathroom ,I hear door banging and "Mom where are you,can you help me,I need something......"and my 4 yr old likes to ask me what I am doing in the bathroom..sigh...

LOL

Matthew and Valerie said...

What a day! Thankfully they aren't all like that and one day you can look back and laugh about it all. Well, except the plastic wrapper that Norah got a hold of.

Kayleigh and Brian said...

You did have a crazy day! As far as the nursing...you said you had frozen milk. I'm assuming this means you have a pump. Since you want to try to make it a year with Norah, what if you pumped your milk and gave it to her in a bottle? I know it's more time consuming and not as "personal" if you will, but like you said, it's free milk!--AND no biting!

Jana said...

I had a similar experience with my son, only we were in the library and he tried to exit through an emergency exit. Yep, it was pretty embarrassing as everyone in the library knew it was us! It wasn't fun at the time but I do find that now I can laugh a little at the memory and can't wait to tell that story to him in a few years! Enjoying reading your blog. =)