Thursday, December 17, 2009

Norah's First Solids/Second-Hand Stores and "Haves/Needs Lists"

Thinkin' about it...

Um..."Mom, what is this stuff?"

"Me likey!"

"Great stuff Mom!"


The other night, we started Norah on her first solid. She had some rice cereal with mashed up bananas. With Avonlea and Lincoln, I only gave them cereal, but after actually tasting the stuff, I decided to give Norah some flava! I mashed up a piece of banana and threw that in. Although she really hasn't got the hang of it (the swallowing) just yet, she does like it. We give it to her at dinner time each night and we'll work our way up to giving her lunch, then a breakfast to add to the mix.


I was so excited because I went to a local, second-hand baby store today and found a STEAL (a buck and change a piece!) on some Fresh Baby storage containers (with lids) for when I start making baby food. I've never gone the route of freezing it before, but I am this time. I used to use empty yogurt cups with lids, but we splurged for the 'real deal' now. :)
Second-hand Stores
I think I'm addicted to second-hand stores, especially the awesome, clean one in our area. If you haven't searched for a good second-hand store in your area, you should. When you're done using something (baby bathtub, clothing, bottles, etc., etc., etc.), you can take it into the store and they'll give you credit towards your next purchase. Today, I took in my knock-off Mei Tai that I purchased online a few months ago, and they said they'd try to sell it for $19.99 which is more than I originally bought it for. More credit for me! Who-hoo! I bought my babyfood storage containers, some capris for Avonlea, some Cars pjs for Linkster and a baby seat for the bathtub for Norah. (I had some other credit stored up as well.) All for around $25.00 and I didn't pay a penny...store credit.
Haves/Needs List
Now, I do love to get store credit towards items I'll need in the future, BUT when I know of someone in need of something, I try to honor that need. We recently started a "Haves/Needs List" at our local Mom's group and we add and take off items that we have and/or need. We started with a large poster board and laminated it, using Expo markers to write on it. Now, we just e-mail each other, but it's a great way to give away or get free, gently-used items AND connect with other moms. Think about creating one in your Mom's group, or start one on your own!

No comments: