Thursday, February 19, 2009

"L" is for Ladybug




Next week, we start talking about letter "L". I found some books about "L"eaves , "L"adybugs and "L"aundry (Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash) at the library. I go once a month and get books for the four letters for the month ahead. I do take the kids to the library with me, about once a week, but I can't get research done or concentrate on checking out the books on my list that I need with two little ones to watch, so I go on a Saturday while Rob is home and they're napping. Plus I just LOVE being at the library by myself and sometimes, I'll get to check out a book for my own enjoyment. =)

Anyway, I checked out Watch It Grow Ladybug by Barrie Watts and Ladybugs by Mia Posada. These two books tell all about the life cycle of the ladybug and are quite interesting. I keep all the books for the weeks to come in a different box out of sight so it creates a new and interesting bunch of books for the week, but she found "the stash" and I wasn't about to stop her from reading books she was interested in, even if they were planned for the next week. So, she began reading the books with me and was super interested in learning about ladybugs. She knows my style now because anytime we catch an interest in a book we read, we go out and "do" or "discover" the topic of the book. She said, "Mommy, we should go out and catch some ladybugs and watch them grow!" I couldn't refuse so (knowing that there aren't many ladybugs in our backyard) I called a local nursery and they had some ladybugs in stock. I use these for pest control in my garden as well, it's a great organic alternative to bug sprays. We also needed some food for them, so we got a small bag of that as well and the ladybugs have been living with us in a large pretzel jar for the past few days doing quite well. We even put some aphids (little, yellow bugs that harm our garden and live on milkweed) in the jar and they ate them with a few hours! They love to eat aphids. It's been fun to watch them and we'll see how long they last or if they reproduce.

* Some other fun things we'll be doing next week for letter "L" include:
lacing cards, ladybug potato painting, collecting leaves and matching them (math), leaf rubbings, making leaf dancers, writing letters, licorice math, using lids off recyclable materials for sorting, counting, patters and measurement, we might try a light experiment and making lemonade, latkes (pancakes) and lasagne for dinner. I also plan on setting up a laundry station (we have a play washer and dryer) and reading Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash and letting her use real water, soap and rags for washing clothes, hanging them up on a little drying line.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

You are just amazing. Your children are going to grow up and be very well-rounded children. High five to you!
PS I will be using your post about the family binder for my own.

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great blog & photos! New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug:
http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/