Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Behavior Charts That Work! (so far anyway) =)


The "Blessings Chart" (positive behavior)


The "If-Then Chart" (negative behavior)

So, I found this great idea by help of a friend from church. There's a website called Doorposts.com and it's really helped Avonlea and her choice-making lately. We've just started implementing it and I can honestly say that I'm so glad my friend suggested it to me. There are many things to explore on the website, but mainly, I was looking into creating a chart (we already have other charts for chores, etc.) for behavior and I had certain things I wanted it to include:

1. I wanted it to be Biblically based
2. I wanted Bible verses to back up the positive or negative behavior
3. I wanted rewards and punishments for the certain behaviors
4. I wanted it in chart form
5. I wanted pictures so that my three-year-old could understand it and "read" it.
6. I wanted it to be laminated so we could reuse it again and again.

Needless to say, these charts met all the requirements and I was so glad that I splurged (they are $6.00 each)! I was in the process of making my own, but liked these better so I purchased them from the website. We use an Expo marker to draw happy faces for the good choices and sad faces for the negative choices. There are rewards and punishments for each and I love how consistent the rewards and punishments are for each. For example, on the "If-Then Chart" the punishments are as follows:

1. Arguing, complaining, whining = additional work or loss of priviledge
2. Teasing, picking fights, causing trouble = loss of priviledge
3. Hitting, biting, kicking, throwing = 3 swats (yes, spankings) and asking forgiveness
The list goes on, but you get the general idea.

As for the "Blessings Chart", the rewards are really creative and not in the form of money, candy, etc. :
1. Peacemaking = no chores for a day, child wins a "peacemaking award" and can wear it all day
2. Truthfulness = grant special priviledge or favor, gets to wear a "prince/princess for the day" crown (see Bible verse that goes along with truthfulness...Proverbs 16:13)
3. Wise Speech = Give honeycomb to eat as special treat
* Many of these may not make sense, but the rewards on the "Blessings Chart" tie into the Bible verse that portrays it (honeycomb, kings/queen crown, etc.).

I also had a friend who didn't order the charts, but made her own (she has three kids) and it was based around the Fruits of the Spirit which was originally what I was going for, but the Doorpost Charts have most of those on it, plus some.

One thing I did as well to help (the charts are double-sided with the chart on the front and the suggestions for punishments and rewards are on the backside) was to copy the backs and post those up seperately so we could read the backs and not have to take the charts off the cabinet (we keep them in our kitchen).

Anyway, just thought I'd share the cool idea. Again, you don't have to order the charts and spend the money. You could make your own. =) Have fun and happy parenting!!!

2 comments:

Jo said...

What a great idea! :)

Kelli said...

I have seen these, my friend Tonya uses them and a lady who used to attend our church and has 10 children swears by them. I might just have to buy some.
Oh, and...Check my blog for an award I have for you!