Friday, July 18, 2008

Homemade Laundry Detergent

We all know that rising gas prices and grocery prices are enough to make any mom frustrated at trying to save money. There are typical things that usually cost more money at the grocery store: trash bags, meat, fish, fresh produce, icecream, bread and laundry detergent. I did a little research and found some homemade laundry detergent recipes, so I decided to try one and see if it worked or not. I bought all the ingredients at Publix (Borax and washing soda are in the laundry detergent aisle and next to each other), but the soap I bought at Target (we were there, so I picked some up, but you could use Dollar Store soap to make it more cost-efficient...soap is soap people, right?). Anyway, I included the recipe and some pictures so you get the general idea. I thought I'd be slick and make a BIG batch to last us awhile, and turns out that I made too much! So, don't double/triple the recipe! I had to use a storage bin to store it all in our garage. Here's the recipe and let me know if any of you try it and like it. I'm interested to see! Oh, by the way, it made our house smell soooooo good, like a house of fabric sheets! :)

1 quart water (boiling)
2 gallons water (room temperature)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda

1.) Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.

2.) Pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.

3.) Add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.
4.) Cover pail and use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. Stir the soap each time you use it (will gel).


**You will DEFINATELY save lots of money this way!!!!

1 comment:

Bush Family said...

I gotta hand it to you Kel, you are the craftiest person I know, I love it! Thanks for the recipe! Do you know if you can use this concoction in high efficiency washers?

Mel