Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bible Verse Challenge

Deuteronomy 11:18-21 says:
"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. WRITE THEM ON THE DOORFRAMES OF YOUR HOUSES AND ON YOUR GATES, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth."

















































At Bible study the other day, I was challenged to work harder at memorizing Bible verses and help my family to memorize verses as well. I got a fun idea! I spent the afternoon searching for verses that were dear to my heart and placing them around our house on notecards. The verses that I chose were specifically chosen for the placement in our house that they would receive. For instance, on our telephone, I have chosen the verse from Proverbs 20:19 which says, "A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much." This verse will help keep our family accountable for gossip and unnecessary talk. I chose the verse from Proverbs 13:24 which says, "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." This verse is placed by our "Time Out" square in our living room. I chose Romans 12:2a for our TV which says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Here are a few more examples:

Shoeracks in closets...
"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" Romans 10:15b

CD player in the kitchen...
"Sing joyfully to the Lord you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:1,3

Above our beds...
"On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 63:6,7

By my clothes in my closet...
"I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." I Timothy 2:9,10

There are many more, but these are just a few of the verses that have helped me think before I act the past few days. Avonlea has enjoyed helping me place the cards in the house and she is intrigued by what they say and mean. Of coarse, she doesn't totally understand them yet, but she knows they are from the Bible and are God's words and we are going to work on memorizing them.

2 comments:

The Dryden Family said...

Kelli...what a fantastic idea! You've inspired me to try this in our home. I think I may have the verse(s) you are looking for: Dueteronomy 11:18-20.
Lots of love, Kris

Jenny said...

great idea! i'm going to do this. thanks for sharing, and i love all the pictures of your beautiful family. much love from the holloways!